The Skeletal System
One aspect of health that is often misunderstood or ignored is bone health. The skeletal system is the body’s second largest organ consisting of 206 bones in adults and provides several physical and physiological functions. Many people perceive our bones as a static, rigid structure when the exact opposite is true. Our bones are a dynamic organ that is a state of constant renewal and rebuilding. This is called bone remodeling and through this process we replace our entire skeletal structure every 10 years, or about seven times in our lifetime.
Through the process of bone remodeling minerals are released from old bone by specialized cells called osteoclasts and new bone is replaced by bone builder cells, osteoblasts. Good bone health is a balance of this resorption of older bone and formation of new bone for stable and strong bones. Healthy bones are vital to our joints and our whole body.
Regardless of age, we all need to keep our bones healthy. Children continue to build bone mass as they grow. Bone mineral density peaks between the ages of 20 and 30. Up to the age of 30, the body makes new bone faster than it breaks down old bone, so bone mass increases. After that, the pace of healthy bone formation slows down so that more bone is lost than formed. This decrease in bone density results in weaker bones that are more susceptible to fracture. Maintaining bone health becomes more challenging and more critical as we grow older for a variety of reasons.
The main issue in this decrease in bone density is directly correlated with calcium and the body’s ability to absorb and utilize dietary calcium which diminishes with age.
Osteoporosis is a global disease. According to the International Osteoporosis Foundation, 1 in 3 women and 1 in 5 men over the age of 50 will suffer an osteoporotic fracture. In fact, a bone will break every 3 seconds because of this disease. This has an enormous human and socio-economic impact. Many people don’t know they have osteoporosis until their first fracture, which is why it’s called the ‘silent disease’. Osteoporosis is estimated to affect 200 million people globally, with 55% of people over 50 currently at increased risk of fracture due to low bone mass.
Natural ways to help your bones and joints:
Exercise, particularly anything that uses your body's weight to move, can help build strong bones. I suggest walking, jogging or dancing.
Get some sunshine, at least 20 minutes a day for Vitamin D
Eat the right foods. Green leafy vegetables are calcium rich and alkalizing. Greens give you calcium but are also good sources of vitamin k, potassium, and other minerals and nutrients needed for healthy bones.
Avoid sodas and carbonated beverages. Limit caffeinated beverages and alcohol.
Drink half your body weight in ounces of water daily. Bones are 25% water. Being hydrated is one of the best things you can do for joint health.
We need to supplement our bodies with minerals, we do not make them. However, no matter how much calcium we consume from calcium rich foods such as yogurt, milk and green leafy vegetables, or by nutritional supplements, such as Nikken’s excellent Kenzen® Calcium Complex, the most important aspects are absorption and utilization. If the body doesn’t absorb calcium, the bones cannot utilize it and be fortified. The launch of Kenzen BDZ™ is a giant step in rectifying this dilemma. Kenzen BDZ™ provides a unique and scientifically validated formula for calcium and other nutrients that are required for maintaining healthy bone structure, bone density and calcium absorption, by combining three patented blends of nutrients.
1. Aquamin® is derived from marine algae found in the pristine waters of Iceland. The minerals that make up Aquamin® provide a combination of benefits, not just for bones, but research shows that it helps support the health of our digestive system as well. This is important once again because absorption is key.
• Marine derived multi-mineral complex with 72 trace minerals.
• Rich source of minerals essential to life and critical biochemical pathways.
• Research shows benefits: helps preserve bone structure and strength, helps prevent loss of bone mineral density, helps the mineralization and maturation of bone cells, helps reduce stiffness in those suffering from osteoarthritis.*
To date, they are over 32 peer reviewed publications for joint and bone health for Aquamin®.
2. ParActin® is the result of 20 arduous years of research and development with more than 20 studies, including in vitro, animal models, and clinical studies in humans.
ParActin® is an innovation of world-renowned field researcher and scientific investigator Dr. Juan Hancke. His recently published study on 103 subjects with osteoarthritis showed reduction in discomfort, stiffness and fatigue while helping to improve physical function and Quality of Life scores with consistent intake of patented ParActin. *
ParActin® increases osteoblast and has a mineralizing effect on the bones with the increase of calcium deposits. Therefore, it could be beneficial in osteoporosis.*
3. Vitamin K2 as MK7 from MenaQ7®: For decades calcium has been the most obvious choice of dietary supplement for improving bone health. However, several studies show that supplementing with calcium exclusively is not enough. Our bodies need to optimize the use of calcium because excess calcium will accumulate in the blood vessel walls, making them stiff and less elastic. MenaQ7® is the optimal solution to utilize calcium in the body by binding calcium to the bones. A new 3-year study with MenaQ7® and 244 healthy women demonstrated for the first time clinically statistically significant protection of the vertebrae and the hip (femoral neck) from bone loss.
This action supports healthy bone metabolism:
• Helps regulate calcium levels in bones and arteries.
• Vitamin K2 as MK-7 has the highest bioavailability and bioactivity of all Vitamin K vitamins.
• Helps support the maintenance of healthy bones and cardiovascular health.
• Helps maintain bone mineral density within normal ranges.
Kenzen BDZ™ is the partner product to Kenzen® Calcium Complex. Formulated specifically to help the body absorb and utilize calcium for healthier bones and joints. This combination of products helps support the body's ability to preserve bone density and assists in the preservation of joints and cartilage.
Benefits of KENZEN® Bone Health Pack (Kenzen BDZ™ and Kenzen® Calcium Complex)
• Helps stimulate bone growth.*
• Helps increase bone mass and strength.*
• Helps increase bone mineral density.*
• Helps reduce risk of osteoporosis.*
• Supports increase in flexibility and mobility.*
• Supports healthy cartilage function.*
• Supports healthy skeletal muscle strength.*
Make healthy bones part of your self care routine and Be Healthy by Choice.
*These statements have not been evaluated by the Food and Drug Administration. This product is not intended to diagnose, treat, cure or prevent any disease.